Wednesday 30 April 2008

The lives of group leaders

I sometimes wonder what it must be like to have a small army of students and postdocs around you. I've got a small number of students working for me now, but even then I can't imagine what it must be like to have so many that I might need a PA just to keep on top of my appointments.

About six weeks ago I invited a US academic who obviously has a large group to speak at this conference I keep banging on about. I've emailed him three times, spoken by phone to his PA, sent him all the details of the conference and the expenses he can claim back. I'm a bit taken aback that this person has chosen to ignore all my communication completely. I can take "no" and even the unreasonable demands for extra expenses that some speakers have asked me for. But ignoring me? How rude.

No comments: